Monday, October 27, 2014

Reboot After a Busy Summer

By Rachel Scarlett

Hello All! Long time, no see! It was hard to do much for the blog over the summer: Pregnancy + Full time farm work = Sleeping in all free time. However, despite my spotty appearances, I am motivated to try to make this work. SO I would like to share a few crafts I did, for what else? Our baby nursery.   

As the colors needed to be gender neutral, I started out with the color combination of red, yellow, and turquoise. Those colors appear all over in my house so it would be easy to pull from decorations that I already had. When re-decorating a room, I think it's important to get creative and use what's around you because seriously, who has the money to do a complete redo with all new things?? I don't! I watch these TLC shows and they redo a room for thousands of dollars! Where's the creativity in that? Besides not being creative, it's also not very sentimental having a room full of new things. I was determined to take from what I had in combination with the baby gifts I received to create a nice setting for the nursery. And my inspiration started with 2 things: my love of turquoise and a quilt given to me by none other than the wonderful Cara Joy! The furniture in this room does not add up to much; the crib was a gift and the one my husband slept in as a child, my beautiful rocking chair was my parent's gift to us, and the changing table was found on craigslist.

Like I said before, my first goal was red, yellow, and turquoise. It changed a little when I was given this wonderful quilt:


Orange did not really fit into my color scheme until now. Red and orange was not working for me especially if we ended up adding pink for a girl. My solution came when my husband had some time off and brought me home a globe from a yard sale! Globes have not only a mass of turquoise, but also every other color! Pinks, oranges, a tiny bit of red.... It works.


In order to use the globe, I took it out of its plastic frame (kind of tacky), used the wire from a coat hanger to put through the middle, and bent loops on both poles. On one side I put a crystal, and the other a chain to hang from the ceiling. To help these things come together I chose to paint several southwestern inspired paintings. The southwestern style helped pull together my colors, and include my love of western/cowboy art.  


I also made a card holder to go above the changing table. For now it holds the cards from my baby shower but eventually I will put up photos of the baby with family and friends. It was a fairly simple project; I spray painted a frame bought at Goodwill Outlet a while ago ($.25). Then I took string and tied it between the staples that would have been holding in the glass and original picture. String can also be simply hot glued or tacked to the back sides of the frame if there are no staples. Clothespins from the dollar store finished it up for easy hanging.


Really, any color can be put into this room. If we have a boy, the cowboy and country will be emphasized, and if we have a girl I'll add a touch of pink!



Future toys and story books! The wall hangings I found at a yardsale for a buck. The top holds a keepsake from my childhood and the bottom an IKEA candle. Below is a shower gift made by a friend and it is filled with a yardsale find ($2).

The curtain above is a thrifted sheet.
Out of all the things in this room, these (above) are brand new and personally bought. These IKEA tubs make up for the dresser we didn't have room for.
Above is a retired calendar page, a favorite framed greeting card, a wedding gift, and thrifted glass birds in a pickle jar!
This room was able to come together with things that I already had. It's hard to see the potential of things that have been around us for so long compared to seeing something new and shiny in a store. I encourage you to get creative and try to use your belongings in new ways when redecorating a room. It'll save a lot of money and can be a lot of fun!

Thanks for reading! Our Etsy shop will be rebooted as well with many new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment